Sunday, February 12, 2017

Happy Violence



Happy violence is portrayed through out movies in almost every category.  It is where violence in movies are justified by happy endings.  I typically don't watch anything gory on television.  It just makes me cringe when I see someone getting brutally stabbed or of that sort.  I usually stick to chick flicks and occasionally there will be violence that will be justified for the sake of love.  Violence is typically ok if you do it in the name of love.  I am currently watching Jane the Virgin and she is so indecisive between these two men.  They are constantly  fighting for her love, even to the point of beating each other up.  This show has high ratings and I think it something about the drama that attracts the viewers.  Since it is shown on television, I think it makes it ok since it isn't real life.
     

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jeanne,

    I really like your point on how although much of the population actually doesn't like violence, drama is just another form of it. I actually could not sit through an American Horror Story episode, but I watch Grey's Anatomy which is full of medical accidents and drama between the characters. I didn't consider it violence but now that I look back its full of happy violence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeanne,

    I agree that it kind of changes the meaning and the severity of the violence if it is for a bigger, positive reason. Most movies with violence (which are most) are for the means of saving their loved one or family. WE may be then immune to the violence a tiny bit more if we know the outcome will be two people finally being together, in a dramatized movie. Here in Jane the Virgin it isn't always as violent, but violence adds a dramatic factor. I like this example you used! It isn't super unbearable violence, but is still prevalent.

    ReplyDelete